03 June 2008

Let us begin the work together

All of you chose to support a candidate you believe in deeply. But at the end of the day, we aren’t the reason you came out and waited in lines that stretched block after block to make your voice heard. You didn’t do that because of me or Senator Clinton or anyone else. You did it because you know in your hearts that at this moment – a moment that will define a generation – we cannot afford to keep doing what we’ve been doing. We owe our children a better future. We owe our country a better future. And for all those who dream of that future tonight, I say – let us begin the work together. Let us unite in common effort to chart a new course for America.

Barack Obama, June 3, 2008

1 comment:

Cristina said...

I actually cried on Tuesday night, watching him speak. There has been no one like him in my lifetime. My partner, who saw RFK speak in San Jose in March 1968, said he hasn't felt anything like this since that day.

A friend of mine e-mailed on Wednesday, "May we live to see interesting times." I think the times are already "interesting." What I would say is, "May we live to turn the page" - and see the promise of America fulfilled (as Langston Hughes wrote many a year ago).